Credit Requirements for Middle School Students
In order for a student to be promoted to high school from the middle grades, they must receive 12.50 credits by successfully completing the following courses:
- Three middle grades or higher* courses in English language arts (3 credits)
- Three middle grades or higher* courses in mathematics (3 credits)
- Three middle grades or higher* courses in science (3 credits)
- Three middle grades or higher* courses in social studies (3 credits)
- One of these social studies courses must be Civics. There is a statewide, standardized end-of-course exam for Civics that must be taken and factored in as 30% of a student’s course grade.
- One course in career and education planning (0.50 credits)
*May include high school courses for high school credit.
The statutory requirements for physical education (one semester each year) are found in section 1003.455, Florida Statutes.
For additional information about promotion from middle school to high school, contact our School Counselor, Ms. Monique Campbell, at 239-936-1759.